Re: [teacherartexchange] idea cards & developing images

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2006 - 14:40:41 PDT

On Sep 8, 2006, at 2:00 PM, Hillmer, Jan wrote:

> This thread has been intriguing to me. Lately, I have been concerned
> about the dearth of images in children's work. My students are 2nd-5th
> grade. Yes, that nasty 'S' image, rainbows and happy faces abound.
> I'd
> love to brainstorm with folks about ways to encourage a broader
> scope of
> images for kids to develop as well as images that would be valuable
> for
> developing. My elementary kids are becoming a bit more comfortable
> drawing people as I've had them draw themselves and others for our
> focus/warmup drawings.

Children can come up with a host of appropriate images when the
situation calls for it. Here is a school web page in honor of a young
girl who was abducted and killed. The kids took to this in a very
serious manner and choose images that would make Pamela's
family proud.
http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/rosedale/PrincessPamela.html
Kid's can really surprise you. I can't remember any drawings
that were not appropriate. Some were trite but thoughtful.
                                                Woody
As for encouragement, we discussed what Pamela liked
and what family and friends might like to see on a memorial
before we began to draw. For instance, Pamela loved to
skate but since she was on roller blades when she was
taken my students said we should not draw skates.
It would bring back too many sad memories. We need
to give kids a lot more credit than we do.

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703