RE: [teacherartexchange] idea cards & developing images

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2006 - 13:00:54 PDT

This thread has been intriguing to me. Lately, I have been concerned
about the dearth of images in children's work. My students are 2nd-5th
grade. Yes, that nasty 'S' image, rainbows and happy faces abound. I'd
love to brainstorm with folks about ways to encourage a broader scope of
images for kids to develop as well as images that would be valuable for
developing. My elementary kids are becoming a bit more comfortable
drawing people as I've had them draw themselves and others for our
focus/warmup drawings.

On a whole other note, it's the weekend!!! Time for R&R~
Jan

___________________________________
The subject matter is wide open, except, as I wrote
last week or so, I always have what I call a 'backup'
theme which seems to help their continuing motivation.
Backup themes are roles artists play--such as
imagining, creating, remembering, synthesizing, etc.
(Last week I was trying to flesh out 'imaginative
artists').

This was from Michael Bell's site, originally, but
while he has mostly his own art on his cards, my
students usu. have very few images of their own art.

Students are
developing more of an idea orientation they are in
charge of their development in art; not so dependent
on my every directive.

Also, the sorting and sharing among friends and the
conversations over various interesting finds has been
a different type of critical thinking. ...

But mostly I wanted to say thanks--when I shared with
them Woody's ideas on imagination and creativity, they
could see clearly how they were developing in their
fluency and flexibility.

In case you missed his post to me, he shared about
imaginative art-making:
Fluency: Comes up with a large number of ideas
Flexibility: comes up with varied concepts
Elaboration: putting a lot of info. into your work
Originality: new and unique thinking

Thanks, Woody. Your input was powerful with my
students and an important part of driving this whole
enjoyable thing home.

Beth H