Re: [teacherartexchange] arts return to San Francisco, ignorance to our list

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2006 - 19:04:08 PDT

Shannon McGraw wrote:

>The most loving thing we can do as a country is put up and wall and
>stand guard..the reason Mexico doesn't improve is because it has a
>national policy of deporting its poor and uneducated to us

I had planned to stay out of this fray, but I had to respond to this
mind-bogglingly ignorant statement. Mexico does not have a "national
policy" of "deporting" its poor and uneducated.

>Other countries, Poland, for instance...demanded
>change...Mexicans don't.

Working class and poor Mexicans have for many years demanded change.
They are demanding change even now. Ever been to Mexico City? There
are demonstrations there regularly, huge ones that block the enormous
boulevards. Since about mid-August, Oaxaca has been in the grips of an
enormous strike of teachers, health-care workers, and others. Change
doesn't happen because the upper class minority controls everything.

>I met a woman last night who almost died in a huge car crash
>from a Mexican who ran a red light and had no license and insurance and
>fled their place the next day. This is happening all over the
>place...Mexicans come over here {ignorant drivel deleted}

You're the perfect candidate to see the film A Day Without a Mexican.
You really should rent it sometime soon.

>most insane sense of entitlement would march in their OWN streets,
>instead of ours...something would get done.

See paragraph above.

>it's really OUR fault for throwing this country
>away....but doesn't it take more courage to work in one's own country to
>get change? But as long as we are the Great Enabler, it'll never happen.

We aren't throwing the country away, but we're certainly exporting it.
If the Bush gub'mint really wanted to stop illegal immigration, it could
do so by nailing the huge agri-businesses, hotel chains, developers and
construction trades that hire them. Think that'll happen? Not on
Dubya's watch, nosireebob. He's all about protecting the hands that
feed him. What's the difference between hiring cheap labor here, or
outsourcing it overseas?

Maggie