Re: [teacherartexchange] Political Opinions- San Francisco

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2006 - 10:37:44 PDT

Linda,
        I now live in New Mexico, which has only been a state since 1914.
There is a large hispanic
population here and many families hold on to their native Spanish
language proudly.
Albuquerque has been a city for 300 years now, founded by immigrants
from Mexico (New Spain).
Santa Fe was founded almost 400 years ago. The English language came
late to this
part of the country. The church fought long and hard to keep public
education
out of New Mexico, even into the 20th century. People hold on to the
old ways of
doing things out here. Many students come from homes where Spanish is
the only language spoken, both legal and illegal. Too many people put
any Spanish
speaker in the same box as if they waded the Rio Grande yesterday.
Proudly most
New Mexicans are welcoming of various cultures. It's a great place to
live. The debate over
immigration is dividing our nation. It does verge on racism when any
person who speaks
Spanish or has brown skin is looked at with suspicion. It is only
going to get worse unless
our political leadership gets together. This may be the only issue
that I side with the
President on. But he lacks the courage or the ability to persuade
members of his own
party to compromise. When I was teaching in Kansas, I taught a very
diverse population
myself. But for the most part they were all poor. Not just the Latino
children were the
wonderful artists. All poorer children have more to express and seem
to be willing to
show their passion. I was always glad I never taught in the rich,
white suburbs.
                                                                Woody

On Sep 7, 2006, at 9:06 AM, <lpapanicolaou@pausd.org> wrote:

> Thank you for reply, Woody. While it is true that the loss of
> control re immigration is a problem that must be dealt with, I
> found the post too hurtful to respond immediately.
>
> I teach in California, but I'm indeed fortunate to be in a well-
> funded school district with an ethnic rainbow of students in my
> classes. They range from the sons and daughters of Stanford
> professors and Silicon Valley millionaires to children from a very
> troubled town adjacent to Palo Alto. Don't like to stereotype, but
> the Latino children tend to be wonderful artists. Many are assigned
> to the Resource Room for their other elective period, so I make
> sure their core teachers know when that they are doing exhibitable
> art work in my class.
>
> Okay, these particular children are probably fortunate enough not
> to be undocumented, but they are fine children, the future of this
> country, and it's a good future if we will let it be.
>
> Linda

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons