Re: [teacherartexchange] Political Opinions- San Francisco

---------

lpapanicolaou_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Sep 07 2006 - 08:06:55 PDT

Thank you for reply, Woody. While it is true that the loss of control re immigration is a problem that must be dealt with, I found the post too hurtful to respond immediately.

I teach in California, but I'm indeed fortunate to be in a well-funded school district with an ethnic rainbow of students in my classes. They range from the sons and daughters of Stanford professors and Silicon Valley millionaires to children from a very troubled town adjacent to Palo Alto. Don't like to stereotype, but the Latino children tend to be wonderful artists. Many are assigned to the Resource Room for their other elective period, so I make sure their core teachers know when that they are doing exhibitable art work in my class.

Okay, these particular children are probably fortunate enough not to be undocumented, but they are fine children, the future of this country, and it's a good future if we will let it be.

Linda