RE: [teacherartexchange] arts return to SF-now invasion issue

---------

From: Mikel Lee (mikellee31_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2006 - 13:49:03 PDT

I guess it is a good thing that you got out of the
public schools before you made some poor Latino child
realize how you felt about them. I am sure that the
Mexicans felt quite invaded in 1846 when the US
decided that a good chunk of their country was quite
attractive with trade routes to Asia and gold and
such....

President Polk's war message: An illegal and
undemocratic government of Mexico, he said, had
refused to negotiate pressing disagreements with the
U.S. about debts, claims and boundaries. Mexico had
then invaded Texas, a part of the United States, and
had killed Americans on American soil. The President
concluded: "As war exists, and notwithstanding all our
efforts to avoid it, exists by the act of Mexico
herself, we are called upon by every consideration of
duty and patriotism to vindicate with decision the
honor, the rights and the interests of our country."

Sounds sort of like a current event.

cool site with which to educate yourself....

http://www.pbs.org/kera/usmexicanwar/aftermath/was_the_war_necessary.html

Mikel, who is going to go "get a life" now

--- Shannon McGraw <smcgraw@parishepiscopal.org>