Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Cuneiform - interdisciplinary activity (Ancient Middle East)

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2006 - 05:07:31 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I know some of you like to work interdisciplinary with core subjects.
In my area, sixth graders learn about Ancient Middle East in social

Here is site where students can see their initials in cuneiform:
Sumerians invented this form of writing in Mesopotamia

An explanation how it was developed:

Here is a short essay on cuneiform:

You could provide some clay and some wood scratch sticks for students
to use in social studies.

My students made cylinder seals and stamps to use to decorate borders
on clay plates that framed foil tooling:
Middle Eastern design motifs served as inspiration for the foil tooling.

Judy Decker

To unsubscribe go to