Re: [teacherartexchange] arts return to San Francisco

---------

From: Ray Leal (rayleal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2006 - 18:02:21 PDT

The money is great - I am in California and am anxious to see what
actually develops as it makes its way from Sacramento to districts to
actual schools and classrooms.
An equally big problem in my school is that with our low test scores-
and a majority of English Learners- our middle school kids have 8
periods, everyone has 2 per. of Language Arts and 2 periods of math,
one period is an elective and tons of them are scheduled into
remedial math and reading, so even with money- we can't get the kids
scheduled into the electives. I taught 3 per. of art last year and we
have band and choir. I was 1/2 time Tech. Leader-coach- coordinator.
This year I am not teaching at all, but agreed to be full time Tech
Coordinator. We needed the position badly, but instead of hiring an
art teacher or 1/2 art teacher, the classes are gone between
declining enrollment and low scoring kids.

It is a depressing mess- and I don't know the answer- but I don't
think the answer is to just keep scheduling them into more periods of
teaching what they are failing at the same way- and with so many
Spanish speakers, they really aren't failing, they are learning the
language- just not fast enough to make Bush and NCLB happy-

AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!
Heather in sunny southern California