Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Art Journal Ideas

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2006 - 16:21:37 PDT

        I taught 6 - 8 art classes and had students do a thumbnail drawing
each week
of the artist we were using each week. Perhaps their sample drawings
give you some ideas. I tried to choose one to publish on the web each
as motivation.
Scroll to the bottom of the page to find examples.

On Sep 4, 2006, at 5:03 PM, wrote:

> I am a docent with an all volunteer visual arts provider for a school
> district in California. We give art history/appreciation lessons
> for grades K
> through 8.
> In the past we have piloted an art journal that was handed out to all
> students at the beginning of the school year and consisted of 10 -
> 15 minute mini
> "hands-on" projects that reinforced whatever concept or lesson was
> presented
> that month. This first attempt was, in my opinion, a glorified
> coloring book,
> very directed and not requiring any creativity from the student.
> We are attempting another try, this time we are providing
> basically blank
> journals to the 3rd through 5th grade students. We are struggling
> with how much
> direction we (the docents) should give. My idea is to use it as a
> tool to
> record what interests the student about the lesson, what captures
> their
> imagination. This could be words, sketches, lines, colors, shapes.
> Essentially, a
> tool for personal response but also for beginning note taking. The
> journal
> would be available for the student to use during the 25 - 30
> presentation.
> Allowing the student to doodle, take notes, sketch during the
> lesson will be a
> foreign concept to many of our volunteers and I worry that it
> would not be
> clearly explained and supported.
> What do you think? Is this possible? Any other good ideas out there?
> Kathleen

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703