Re:[teacherartexchange] dried up watercolor markers

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2006 - 17:19:57 PDT

I have used the technique of dipping markers in water,
but I find they run out very fast. Because of the
capillary action of the markers, a lot of the ink
bleeds out of the end of the pen right away. The rest
of the ink is still in the barrel of the pen. I have
been sucessful using a couple of techniques, but all
have something in common that determines that sucess:
decent paper. I try to use a hard surfaced paper that
will not absorb too much marker too quickly. Soft
papers such as construction are simply too soft and do
not contain enough sizing to retard the absorbtion of
the ink.

I use 90-120 lb. tag stock, or when not available, a
good quality 80-90 lb. suphite drawing paper will do.
I usually have the kids sketch a drawing in sharpie
marker, lay a wash of clear water to an area, then
touch the marker to the paper. Having water already
on the paper gives the painting a swirly, watercolor
effect, not unlike using liquid watercolors. Another
idea is to remove the back of the marker and add a few
drops of water directly into the barrel end so the
water liquifies any ink still in the pen. Capillary
action will move the water to the drawing tip.

Hope this helps, Jerry

www.artguyvilenski.com