Re: [teacherartexchange] Imaginative artists

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2006 - 15:10:23 PDT

On Sep 3, 2006, at 4:37 PM, Woody Duncan wrote:

> Each student started with five points and deducted one
> point whenever they found the same thing on another paper. Perhaps
> the drew a face,
> a tree and a house then if they found a face, deduct a point, find
> a tree, deduct a point,
> find a house deduct a point, etc. Lots of students ended up with
> zero points, but that was
> fine. Of course none of it counted for a grade.

I wish, in art, we could always make the grade an illusion. And, I
wish, we could somehow convey that the struggle counts.

> I wanted them to start thinking like artists and
> not drawing what everyone else drew.

The hardest thing to teach and persuade. When all the world
looks to conform, WE are best to guide a step aside.
Allow the time to grow and give that growth the same consideration as
in all other areas. Regard all the ways kids think about
expression, and maybe put aside what you think is acceptable.

I truly think ART is at a crossroad and we have to look to what ways
we can nourish the thinking they are doing and see just how it "fits"
or doesn't. They will be the innovators that I am not, and I can
only give them the space and freedom to do what I don't do.

And then be an original teacher.... and make it fit.

Patty