Re: [teacherartexchange] Imaginative artists

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2006 - 13:37:58 PDT

On Sep 3, 2006, at 1:46 PM, Patricia Knott wrote:

>> Originality: Means to be new and unique in your thinking.
> This is what we have to teach. How do you put it all together and
> make it new and "own it.?"

I used a beginning creativity test with my sixth graders. I adapted
it from a workshop somewhere.
It was an introduction to the components of creativity as well as
beginning a semester long
dialogue about what art is. I gave them a sheet with some basic marks
on it and ask them to
draw for 20 minutes and be as creative as possible. I even told them
what would score highest:
Lots of thought and detail, something different than anyone else,
etc. When we finished they scored their
own drawings based on criteria I mentioned earlier for each of four
factors fluency, flexibility,
elaboration and originality. When we got to originality I had them
walk around the room
looking at everyones drawings. Each student started with five points
and deducted one
point whenever they found the same thing on another paper. Perhaps
the drew a face,
a tree and a house then if they found a face, deduct a point, find a
tree, deduct a point,
find a house deduct a point, etc. Lots of students ended up with zero
points, but that was
fine. Of course none of it counted for a grade. I wanted them to
start thinking like artists and
not drawing what everyone else drew. It was just a start, it's a long
struggle, but I would
have most of them for three years and there would be plenty of time
to grow.
                                                        Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net