Re: [teacherartexchange] Imaginative artists

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2006 - 12:46:35 PDT

On Sep 2, 2006, at 11:16 PM, dianegregory@grandecom.net wrote:

> It might be fun to let students identify who they think are
> imaginative artists.
> Teachers could allow students to make their choices based upon a
> list of 20-25
> artists. These could be found on the web and students could choose
> and justify
> their choice. Students could even identify their own criteria for
> selection.
> The list Woody provided could be one way to identify imaginative,
> but there
> could be other ways to identify imaginative.
>
> What do you think?

I think that imagination and creativity are not necessarily one in
the same and innovation opens another component. When you look at
"historical artists" of note fluency, flexibility and elaboration
often play a minor role before the 20th century.
Kids have to be taught how to come up with lots of ideas and concepts
and, putting a lot of information into the work requires history and
background and being able to identify what "information" is.

> Originality: Means to be new and unique in your thinking.
This is what we have to teach. How do you put it all together and
make it new and "own it.?"

I guess what I'm thinking is who are the artists that are not
imaginative? If they have made it into the history books , then why?
If we can say to our students -- this is what was happening and this
is how the artist responded, then we get more to the meat of
imagination and seeing other possibilities. Who are the artists that
gave us something new to think about would be my question.
We are faced with so much today. The only thing I know to teach my
students is to look and see. "What is it that you want to say
something about and how can I guide you to say it." And maybe I can
direct the student to artists that wanted to say the same thing.

You have to look for the subtle shifts and nuances in all the eras.
How did the artist "sneak in" some thing that went at least a little
against the times? I think of some of my favorites like
Velasquez, Goya, Vermeer, David, Manet, Seurat, Matissee....... Du
Champ, Corrnell, Rauschenberg... on and on. Every one made a shift
in perceptions. and there are tons more.

I'm not sure why we want to rank imagination? How do I compare
Bosch's imagination to Warhol? It's the context and what do we
regard and disregard. Can we teach our kids to be art rebels and not
imitators?
I am sure that I want to teach the process -- fluency, flexibility,
elaboration, originality-- and more
and how to get through all the ideas and find the ways and means to
put the expression together... and more.

Which artist was best at something or other is something that
requires a teacher objective as to why . What's the question? Can a
kid figure what was going in the artist mind? and how does the
student figure what imaginative is? What they think is not usually
what I think. If I don't identify what they think first, I'm on an
uphill battle.

Instead of having kids trying to find imagination, have them first
find who they are drawn to. What is it that draws you? Then figure
what may be what was different or compelling. Let the class decide
what is imaginative then go from there as to what you know is.

Patty