[teacherartexchange] TAB week two

---------

From: Betty B (bettycarol_40_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2006 - 18:02:16 PDT

I'm getting more used to total choice, they are still
doing their drawing warmup - I have to stand in the
hall between each class, so don't want them into the
centers without me being in there, so I'm keeping my
"bellwork".

No real behavior issues this week, we had 2 fights at
school, involving 3 of my students from one hour, so
at least I had smaller classes!

I have "artist statement forms" available on the
center table all the time, and they can fill one out
and staple it to anything they do that they want to
put in the class folder for a grade, that way I'm
only grading work they are proud of. Otherwise, its
just about daily participation. I do have three or
four boys who have accomplished nothing that I can
see, but at least they have stopped just sitting.

They are still struggling with having anything to make
art about. I had them all write down ten possible
ideas that they could work from, and all 137 students
came up with pretty much the same ten things, mostly
stealing ideas from art I have up in the room, or
"vase of flowers", "flag" etc., so I talked to each
one about their list privately and how we could flesh
it out or make it more personal. I don't mean for them
to do all ten, hopefully they will loosen up a little
in this sense.

I had a sub the last 2 days of the week, as my mother
passed away Wednesday afternoon, and she (the sub) did
not like my setup or "lesson plans" and apparently
Friday made them all sit through a lesson on negative
space. Sadly, she was my student teacher last year and
her lesson on negative space even confused me! So I'll
have to deal with that when I get back Tuesday. My mom
was an elementary teacher for her entire career, and
that would have amused her greatly.