Re: [teacherartexchange] TAB Choice Excitement! Off to a GREAT Start

---------

dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Sep 01 2006 - 19:02:55 PDT

I agree with you. You do have a situation where TAB may be impossible to
implement. The only thing I can suggest is to improve the situation. Teachers
do need good working conditions to do an effective job. Even at the university
level I encounter these challenges. We can only do so much. The
administration must do its part in providing classrooms that are conducive to
effective teaching and learning. Sounds like you are doing the best you can.
One idea is to present your vision to your administrator and ask for help to
implement this vision. Getting a sink would be a good first step. There may
be other things you need to do your work effectively. Make a list and work the
list.

Your situation sounds like my first few years teaching at the elementary school.
 I didn't have a room. I was on an AV cart. The curriculum was constrained by
what I could get on the cart. I even had stairs to navigate. I had 900
students who loved art. I went to the PTA. They got the funds together to
complete an unfinished classroom. I moved in the next year. Even though I had
no tables, sink or cabinets, we had our own room. Things got better each year.
I had to remind myself, I was doing the best I could do. I had to put a lot of
idealistic ideas out of my head just to survive. When I started reaching out
and letting others help it got better. It was never great, but it was better.
When trying to improve your situation, always look at how far you have come.
This will help when you see how far you still need to go.

Take care.

Diane