Re: [teacherartexchange] TAB Choice Excitement! Off to a GREAT Start

---------

lpapanicolaou_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Sep 01 2006 - 13:12:32 PDT

Jayna, I don't recommend starting abruptly second semester. With my principal's encouragement I started doing modified TAB last year, in baby steps from the beginning and increasing the length of the TAB units as the semester (in my case) went on. This is what I figured out worked and am doing it again this year:

1) No beginning with dry lessons on EOA/POA--we came out of the gate talking about thinking like an artist, why minimal effort is not art, the importance of presentation, artist's signatures, etc.

2) Students who finish assignments before others g into TAB mode while the rest of their classmates catch up (ie, no more 'I'm finished/what do I do now?')
3) TAB days are salted throughout the first semester to train them gradually in the idea that they are responsible for being productive and establishing goals for themselves in art.
4) Choice into every assignment--for example, my first clay unit will be slab construction, for which the skill requirements will be rolling slabs, joining clay and good glazing technique. I'll show them boxes and mugs/plates and let each choose how s/he wants to satisfy the assignment.

Linda