Re: [teacherartexchange] Stacie

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 13:28:11 PDT

StacieMich@aol.com wrote:

>I realize that they think I won't follow through, and now it's more important
>than ever that I do. I gave another detention today to a student who hit
>another student. I'm trying my best to become firmer and follow through on what
>I say.

Stacie,

The students have long figured out you are loathe to discipline them,
and they're working you like a puppet. Reread what you wrote in the
same message:

><snip> He had already gotten two warnings before that, so I told
>him he needed to write an essay for me and bring back the behavior form
>signed by a parent. Well, he didn't have it on Monday. On Tuesday I handed him a
>detention slip, explained that he had a choice. He could bring the original
>note in today with a parent signature and his essay or he could bring in the
>detention form signed by a parent. <snip> So now I have to give him a detention.

You continued to give him another chance, even after HE failed to follow
through. If you don't stick to what you say you are going to do, they
will continue to dance along the edge of your boundaries. If you are
going to establish limits for behavior, don't keep dragging out their
warnings or chances. It will look like favoritism if one student gets
extra chances and then you suddenly put your foot down when another
student misbehaves. Students are very quick to pick up on perceived
unfairness on a teacher's part. You must be consistent. Not only that,
you sounded as though you regretted having to give him detention. YOU
do not have to be sorry or regret following your discipline plan; the
students are the ones who are supposed to be sorry!

Maggie