[teacherartexchange] clean-up-Stacie

---------

From: Dawn Malosh (dmalosh_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 17:57:39 PDT

Stacie- I have used a monthly job rotation at each table that has worked
very well for years. Each table rotates between 4 different jobs by month. I
let the kids decide who will do what job each month. Some years I have had
them fill out a form for the entire year, but now we just do it month to
month so that its less of a hassle to switch their seats. Sometimes I
monitor or adjust their job chart for fairness.

 The first job is "Gopher" or "Mr./Ms Get."(whichever title appeals most to
the kids)-This person retrieves the materials that the entire table needs
for class projects. Individual material needs are taken care of
individually. The Second job is the "Clean-Up Person"- They clean and/or
return the materials for the entire table. The third job is the "Table
Manager." They make sure the table is clean at the end of class. No, sponges
are used unless wet materials are used. The last job is the "Substitute or
Extra." If a student is absent at their table, the fill the empty position.
If all are present, I give them a specific job like sink monitor, materials
organizer, paper collector, etc. Students must do their jobs in order to
earn their work habit points. It is a part of their student responsibilties.

This really makes a difference with traffic control in the classroom,
Stacie. This way only six kids have a reason to be out of their seat at a
time to retrieve materials. At clean-up, only the clean-up people can use
the sinks, and table managers get lightly dampened sponges from a special
bucket. The kids enjoy the jobs and special titles too. Even the older ones.

Hope this helps!

Dawn in Tucson