Re:[teacherartexchange] art content policies

---------

From: Terry Marney (terrylou63_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 15:57:56 PDT

      I've never seen anything in writing either about
what's acceptable, but I know the principal's views on
certain issues. And I like my job, so I go along with
him. No nudity. Sometimes the kids will see
something in my National Geographic magazines and if
they can't handle it maturely, I quietly take the
magazine out of their hands. Nothing drug-related.
No mushrooms, people with needles sticking out of
their arms, or questionable "maple leaves". I tell
them these rules right up front at the beginning of a
lesson. Whenever I say that they can draw something
of their choice, I say that it must be
"school-appropriate" or it will go in the trash and
they will get an F.
     Personally, I feel that nudity should be
acceptable at the high school level. There's a lot of
nudity in art history. But I have to go along with
the principal's decision.