Re:[teacherartexchange] Stacie

---------

From: Terry Marney (terrylou63_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 15:47:11 PDT

Stacie, I just thought of another thing I do which
does help with behavior issues. On the first day of
class, I have each student fill out an index card:
Name
Name of parent/guardian
Telephone number where I can reach parent/guardian
Name of guidance counselor
* then I ask a "getting to know you" question like
about their hobbies, sports, past art experience...

I explain that the reason I want these cards is so
that I have quick access to their parents in case I
need to speak with them. And I DO! I have called
parents when I can't get a student to cooperate, and I
have also called parents to congratulate them on
raising such a wonderful, respectful child. (That
particular child's dad went out and bought him a new
video game as a reward!!) Parents love this kind of
feedback, especially the positive kind. I have also
had conversations with parents who were not so
receptive....and I could see that the apple didn't
fall too far from the tree. But...I usually notice a
difference in the child's behavior the next day. I
think these phone calls work better than a detention.
     One of my 8th graders this term started out
giving me a lot of attitude. I got really tired of
it. So when I found out that he was on the school's
Golf Team, I asked him the name of his coach. He was
reluctant to tell me, but he did. And then he begged
me not to talk to his coach about his behavior. So,
he KNEW he was misbehaving with me...and he KNEW his
coach would not put up with it. So I told him "Ok, I
won't talk to your coach IF I see a change in your
attitude." He's been much, much better since then.
    When you feel helpless, they know it. When you
know someone's "got your back", they know that too.
And they respect you more for following through. HOpe
this helps!
Terry