Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re:[teacherartexchange] Cartouche pendants from shrinky dinks


Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 03:06:17 PDT

Hey Sharon,
    I used to use shrinky dinks to make sarcophagus pins with my 3rd
graders. I gave them the shape of a mummy to use just to establish
size, then they designed a pedastal base for it so they all looked
different in the end. SInce they shrink so much and we wanted them to
be jewelry and a wearable size, it was important to give them the size
that would work before they completed their designs. We used
prismacolors, and red, black, silver, and gold ultra thin permanent
paint pens. We drew the whole thing in black sharpie, then colored.
They drew their designs with the paper folded in half (tracing paper)
then traced the other side with the paper still folded. They laid the
completed symmetrical design under the shrinky dink and drew the design
on top of the plastic by tracing the tracing paper design that showed
underneath the transparent plastic. These were fun and beautiful.
Kids had to design a necklace, design hair and headpieces, include
egyptian style eyes, use hieroglyphics to write their name or a message
down a band of space under the necklace area, divide off the remaining
space in an interesting way (symmetrically) and include symbols that
could be partially egyptian and partially their own. I read "Mummies
Made in Egypt" By Aliki to them before hand.

Before we made the "mini mummies" we used to trace half of their body
shapes on a folded in half sheet of white kraft paper, then the kids
designed the pedastal bases, and filled in the rest (as in the above
description) to be painted. Because of the size of these and the space
they took up, the table groups served as teams to paint each of them one
at a time. The person who owned the sarcophagus design was the art
director, or maybe we called them the pharoahs,and everyone else at
their table served as the workers who followed his directions when it
was their turn to paint each mummy. So each group of 4 painted 4
mummies. It worked pretty well. We used gold paint last on each one.
They just saved out some areas for gold. I remember that we held the
folded designs up to the window to trace the other side to make them
symmetrical. I wish I could do these again. I used to have two hours
drying time on each of them in years past. Now I have 45 minutes.
Makes a difference when you need that much floor space to dry such large
work. I suppose I could tape them up to the wall to dry. I'm getting
the urge to do these again. They were so gorgeous.

Visit our Lower and Middle School Art Gallery Sites:
Click on Arts, Lower School or Middle School, Gallery

To unsubscribe go to