Re: [teacherartexchange] art content policies-Help!

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 27 2005 - 19:49:14 PDT

I'm starting my 3rd year of retirement but I'll put
my two cents in. I taught 6th - 8th art for 27 years
Our district never had any written guidelines
or official policy about content but I tried to impose
my own. I also did not allow cussing, fighting or
the word "no" in my classroom. I imposed my own
morals upon my students and if they didn't like it
"tough. As for art content: No beer, cigarettes, guns,
knifes, frontal nudity, etc. were some of my restrictions.
Gang signs and related symbols were the only real problem
cause they kept changing. Our school security officer was
good at keeping me clued in. I've done lessons around
Graffiti as art and the kids loved it. Administrators
can get real hung up on the silliest things. We did a
still-life with bottles with great renderings of glass
and reflected light. I displayed the art in a showcase
along with some of the many shapes of wine bottles we
used. I was told to remove them. We compromised by
turning the labels to the back. If you set some
reasonable standards the kids will cooperate. Also,
I seldom left the choice of subjects wide open. Some
content I used was: Animals, Birds, City Scapes,
White Water Rafting, Indoor Soccer, Cheerleaders,
Winter Olympics, Vases of Flowers, Musical Instruments,
Self Portraits (always a good one) etc. The possible list
is endless but I choose the major areas and supplied
resources and motivation. I don't believe in saying
"draw what you want today." I encouraged lots of
variety and experimentation within the content I
choose. I choose content based on degree of
difficulty, appropriateness to media, and if it
would fit into the sequence of lessons that came
before. I hope this helps.
                                Woody

--
	Woody, Retired in Albuquerque