Re: [teacherartexchange] art content policies-Help!

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 27 2005 - 17:50:40 PDT

While my district does not have a written policy I have my own comfort zone
on what I will show each level, and this is based on my knowledge of the
culture I live in and what my parents deem acceptable. 4th & 5th aren't
knowingly exposed to any nudity. 6th - 8th I don't show artwork with obvious
nudity, but I do have shelves upon shelves of art books that students may
browse. I don't censor my books, but I do tell them that nudity in art is
normal, but that if they are not mature enough to handle looking at my books
then they will lose the privelege. Same with the internet. I tell them that
they turn it into something dirty and unpleasant when they point, laugh, and
share with their friends, and this is how I judge their ability to handle
the material. There are so many artworks available that it is possible to
teach these grades about great art/artists without the nudity. Again, you do
have to teach to your own personal culture - you know best what your parents
and community find acceptable.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids