Re: [teacherartexchange] egyptian cartouche

---------

From: Sue Stevens (suestevens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 27 2005 - 14:53:48 PDT

I have many egyptian ideas!!!

My favourite for cartouches (and that grade level) is 'shrinky-dink' or
'skrink-it' (two different brand names of the same thing). These plastic
sheets are availabe from most craft stores like Michaels. Instructions are
always included in the packages, which are not that expensive, and contain
usually 6 or more sheets. If you are doing necklaces - you can get 4 out of
one sheet.) If you have a template of a cartouche, the students can trace
it, put in their own name in hieroglyphics, cut it out, and then you can
shrink them at home in your oven, at school in an oven, or in a toaster oven
in the classroom. It shrinks to about a quarter of the original size.
Pencil crayons and permanent markers only (crayolas will wash off). Metalic
pencil crayons work great also. They can make necklaces out of it, or key
chains. Actually we are doing this activity with teachers at a workshop on
Egyptian lessons next month, and we are attaching pin backs to them. If you
would like a PDF of the template that I am using for these - e-mail me off
list, and I will be happy to e-mail that to you. Actually, I think I have
it so that I can get 8 out of one sheet of plastic.

Another idea would be to cast plaster.....mix up good old plaster of paris,
and pour into styrofoam meat trays (if you ask your local grocery store, you
may be able to get some new ones - got to watch out for those germs), Once
the paster has set up, the kids can pop out the plaque, and then carve into
the damp plaster a cartouche with their name in it. Let the plaster dry
further, and then paint. If you cut apart big paper clips (so that you have
two loop sections instead of one clip) and you partially immerse the open
end into the plaster before it dries, when you pop out the plaque, you have
a hook already in it for hanging!

Got to go - the school is losing internet connection in a few minutes for an
upgrade.....
Sue Stevens