Re: [teacherartexchange] [teacherartexchange tons of questions

---------

From: HGillum (hgillum_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 26 2005 - 07:30:01 PDT

Stacie -

I've been reading your posts and sympathizing with you. My first year was
like this too. You're getting a lot of good advice. I made it through with
lots of prayer and a supportive husband. I decided that I just was not
going to allow a bunch of 8 year olds to tell me what to do and to ruin my
day. Actually, I treat them much like I would treat my own children (can't
have any...but I had a great mom). I expect great things from them - and
won't put up with a bunch of baloney. I try to look at it from this
perspective. I may be the only positive thing these kids see all day. I
may be the only person who compliments them or pats them on the back or
gives them a hug on the way out the door. I want my class to be the best it
can be - as much for me as for them. I tell them on the first day of class
that this is my "home" - I spend more waking hours at school than I do at
home...and when they are in my house, I expect them to behave and treat it
as such.

As far as rewards, I've done them and can't afford it on my salary!
Actually, now I use a system I got from Fred Jones "Tools for Teaching" - a
book you should invest in - or at least check out at your library. It's
worth an inter-library loan if you can't get one any other way. I reward
them with time they cash in for special incentives - like watching an
instructional art DVD - Mike Artell's Basic Cartooning - which I highly
recommend. I'm also putting together some art themed bingo games, etc. I
tried giving kids pencils, candy (which is illegal in Arkansas now) and
other things. It got to the point that they wouldn't work unless they were
getting something back. I've actually had them ask me "Mrs. Gillum, if I do
all of my work will you give me a pencil?" and they belligerently decided
not to work when my answer didn't please them. In my opinion, kids are
spoiled enough already. I wanted to build on that intrinsic motivation that
is so difficult to do. So, they are getting rewarded with something I would
have done anyway - but they don't know that.

I run my class on a timer - and give amounts of time towards their goal
every class. When the goal is met, we'll "cancel art class" and have a DVD
day...they don't realize it's art too! I learned this from Fred Jones too.
I'm an extremely time conscious and organized person. This keeps me sane
and helps my class run very smoothly. It also gives them a time constraint
to work within. We are trying to get the kids accustomed to working on
command, as they will be required to do for the standardized tests. By
using timers all year long, a timed test is no big deal to them.

I wish you much luck - and trust all of us who have been there - it will get
better! One last bit of wisdom - if you can't control yourself, you can't
control your class. It took me a while to learn this lesson, but boy, did I
finally get it mastered! Life is too short to run around with stress
induced headaches, stomachaches and high-blood pressure. Life has been much
easier since. Don't take things so personally - in fact, the fact they are
willing to express themselves to you can indicate a level of trust. The
kids who act out so badly are the ones who need help the most...someone to
listen and understand. Build a relationship with them and you'll be
surprised how they will perform for you once you do. It ends up that my
favorite kids are what I call my "thuggy little boys" - those who are too
bad/cool to do anything other than give me grief!

Good luck - and I hope your week goes well!

Holly Gillum