Re: [teacherartexchange] Thanks and another question

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 25 2005 - 15:31:11 PDT

If I have my students clean up then they sit with their heads down and don't
talk. I sit at my desk and work. The room is totally silent until art is
over. If it is bad enough for me to have them clean up then I don't want
them to enjoy a second of their remaining time with me. Reading will be a
reward for some students, as will working in their sketchbooks.

> I have decided that if they are too loud tomorrow and cannot behave, I
> will
> ask them to clean up right then and there. I'm trying to decide if I will
> ask
> them to read quietly, put their heads down or draw quietly in their
> sketchbooks. What do you think? Also, what should I do if they decide to
> chat at this
> time?

I do yell really loud to get their attention sometimes. I will then quietly
say "wow, I had to get out my grouchy voice. I hope THAT doesn't have to
happen again!" It's effective! I learned this trick from our elementary
counselor. After you've done it once or twice you usually only have to ask
them to not make you use your grouchy voice.

> I'm going to do my best not to yell. I'll have to do something to get
> their
> attention though. I swear, it gets so loud that I have to yell for them
> even hear me. I need to work that out. Maybe I'll simply go table by
> table to
> tell them to quiet down or to ask them to clean up? Is that a better
> approach? Rather than trying to get the whole class's attention?

If the rule is to stay in their chair and they get out then follow up with
the consequence - take away recess, debit their classroom checkbook, sit
them in the hall, sit them beside you. Be FIRM! However, if they are coming
to you for help (and not just up visiting or wandering) then I handle that
differently, because many of them do have to do that with their classroom
teacher. I just calmly tell them that I will not answer their questions
unless they are in their seats. And then don't answer their questions when
they're up.

> Oh, also...I've told my students that they may not get out of their seats
> without permission, yet several still do. I've been calmly telling them
> that
> they need to go back to their seats and raise their hands. Should I now
> start
> giving them consequences or continue to remind them?

~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids