Re:[teacherartexchange] Stacie's questions

---------

From: Terry Marney (terrylou63_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 25 2005 - 14:00:45 PDT

Stacie, last year was my first year. I felt EXACTLY
the same way you do! It did get easier with each
quarter because you become more confident....you know
what you're teaching, you'll start to know what works
and what doesn't. Now that I'm in my second year, I'm
finding myself SOOOOOO much more comfortable with
maintaining control of my middle school classrooms.
It's the high school ones that I'm having a hard time
with. Actually, only one in particular. It's a
certain group of senior girls...not BAD girls...just
very noisy and a bit intimidating. I got my class
busy last week, and while they were busy, I sat with
this particular group and discussed my "dilemna" with
them. I told them I really needed their help. I said
that I really enjoy them as a group, like listening to
their conversations, because they crack me up....BUT
when I'm holding a book in front of a class and trying
to actually teach something, I need their cooperation.
 And that I don't want to be one of those grouchy
teachers who gives detentions, writes up discipline
slips, and makes seating charts....so I asked them to
please not make me be one of those teachers. I'm
hoping that by appealing to them as semi-mature young
adults, they might just "get it" before I have to take
more drastic measures. Now that I've given them the
nice warning...I don't have a problem writing them up
if they're obnoxious during class.
     It's hard because we really do want them to like
us.......even though we know it's our job to teach
them, not to get them to like us. It's still human
nature to want them to like us. With my middle school
kids, I'm finding that the ones who don't like me are
the ones that are really just there to make trouble.
The rest of them appreciate the fact that someone's in
charge. And that the class is not just a
"free-for-all".
      Best of luck to you! Hang in there!
Terry