Re: [teacherartexchange] Need tips on how to gain 4th grade interest in art

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 25 2005 - 07:15:20 PDT

I can't help you with the cultural differences, but I think you're on the
right track in trying to learn about the culture you now teach. As for you
classroom managment problem, my first thought is that with your 4th graders
one of their prior teachers may have turned them off to art for whatever
reason - maybe the one who was "mean" to them did the damage, or they assume
you will be leaving as well at the end of the year. I believe that if you
can excite them on a project they may quickly turn around. And maybe just
talk to the students - tell them how you feel about them, how you feel when
they act a certain way, and what you hope to achieve with them.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids