[teacherartexchange] behavior problems

---------

From: Eugenia Hess (jean1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 25 2005 - 06:50:20 PDT

When it gets too loud:
I ask students to remind the loud talker to speak more quietly
because "he is probably a really nice kid who just forgets to use an
inside voice"
If one table seems noisy I will ask just that table to be silent for
one minute. This works great for me, all the kids tend to talk more
quietly and the energy level of the loud group subsides.
Sometimes I will have the entire class be silent for one minute. I
often don't watch the clock, just give them the okay after half minute
or so.

painting hands:
Someone on this list said they stopped kids who misused materials, they
"lose the privilege to work with my materials". I tried it and it has
unintended consequences: the entire class's overall behavior improves!
It seems drastic to stop a kid from doing art when you see them so
seldom, but it only happens once. I tell them each class about this.
This mostly occurs in kindergarten, but I've had a 5th grader girl
throw clay and then suffer watching everyone else work with clay while
she sat doing nothing.

Jeannie in PA, k - 5