Re: Re:[teacherartexchange] Stacie: visual journals

---------

From: Rick Larson (jrlarson51_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 25 2005 - 05:58:28 PDT

I do sketchbooks from 3-rd through 6th. They don't take them home, they
keep them in the room, bundled by class. 10 sheets of xerox paper folded
with a 9x12 drawing paper cover. They use them to make thumbnails for
lessons, put ideas in- I grade them twice a year. They also use them to
sketch in if they finish early. Sometimes I will copy something for them to
glue in there, pics, how to draw something, or background info.
The secret is they don't go home- I do not give them assignments for them,
for me, I wanted them to just have one and think that it is normal for
artists to have one- this is what artists do sort of thing. I have 2 kids
pass them out at the beginning of each class.and collect them at the end-
those kids haved to keep track of the rubberband and lable.
Betsy