Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Looking for Kandinsky/Line lesson plans

From: Holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 20:51:48 PDT

Hi Sue,

this is a pretty simple lesson plan, but it worked great for me. I did this
with 2nd graders this past week. We talked about Kandinsky,and I showed a
number of images. We discussed how Kandinsky was an abstract painter, how
he was a musician, etc. etc. I showed a number of his paintings. Then the
kids did paintings with tempera block paints. I played CD's of jazz music
(Coltran) while they worked. It was a two part painting--first they used
only black paint, and painted lines to the music. Then they could add
color. We spent two class periods on this--the second period they finished
the paintings and gave them titles. They were great, and they all really
enjoyed the experience. I did a similar painting with thrid graders, basing
the paintings on Paul Klee. They loved it, as well.

Mary H.