Re:[teacherartexchange] all of the above

---------

From: J Well (scherenschnitte442000_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 09:57:09 PDT

Hello. I'm only able to check in every few days, but
the digest for Tuesday contained some great dialogues.
 Woody's response to the weak-kneed adminstrators was
priceless. (I didn't participate in the pinwheel
project, but I've often heard that "we don't want to
offend our school grandparents who fought in WWII or
Korea or Vietnam", and I'm always amazed that
promoting peace is getting a bad name. In fact, I'm
surprised that I have not been cautioned re my intense
presentation of Picasso's GUERNICA and Ben Shahn's
LIBERATION as anti-war paintings. Not yet, knock on
wood.)

Re the Edline, I'm just beginning to get my feet wet;
my school is zealous in its promotion. Can anyone
contrast Edline with Blackboard?

And one of my favorite pet peeves, the presumptions
made about art teachers' and art classes'
responsibilities to all other departments: My
colleagues are very supportive and aware of my
dedicated fee-based budget and our curriculum,
standards, and syllabus, but once in a while I have to
gently remind a new teacher or two. Re the supplies I
say that "ethically, I am bound to reserve tools and
materials for the students who paid lab fees to take
the studio courses", and re the haunted houses, etc.,
I mention our syllabus and the mandate to meet
standards, and I offer to announce in my classes that
he/she is looking for volunteers to work with her/him
after school on a project to be directed and
supervised by that department.

More recently, Michal's mention of teachers who
nowdays have to teach in multiple schools, carrying
supplies in their trunks, well that gave me chills.

And the Power Point exchange! Always something to
learn. You folks are great. J.
Hang in there, gang. J.