[teacherartexchange] Pinwheels as an Authentic lesson

---------

From: Peri Raygor-Yanez (perigraphics_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 05:53:02 PDT

This summer I took a class about teaching community service to students
in the style of Cesar Chavez. The reflection for the students took an
authentic turn at lunch as the school experienced 3 girl fights spurred
on by their boyfriends while we were accepting donations for pinwheels.
dIt was a mob scene as hundreds of students ran to watch. (We have 2900
students). On International Peace Day then, the art teachers ganged up
on the kids and had them do a type 2 writing explaining the effect of
the project on themselves and others at the school, then project an art
project that they themselves could design to promote peace, tolerance
and love among their fellow students. The writings for the most part
said that the majority of students are peace-loving and that the few
ignorant who participated in the fraccus should be given the 10 day
suspensions the principal issued. Projects suggested by students
ranged from ribbons for tolerance to video presentations of how to get
along with each other to murals to a wall where the guilty would have
to place their painted palms for punishment and embarrassment! These
kids are full of ideas.
Peri