Re: [teacherartexchange] sjs website/

---------

From: Gwen (gwen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 04:15:13 PDT

On 15/9/05 3:06 am, "Nancy Walkup" <nwalkup@verizon.net> wrote:

> About Cleanup:
>
> With my elementary students, in each class I choose the table who cleans up
> the best (not the quickest!). My older students (2-5) have their names put
> into a box as art stars; every Monday at morning announcements, my principal
> draws three names from the box and those students get to choose a prize from
> my "treasure box." For younger students, I give stickers to the art stars.
>
> Nancy
>
> From: lindwood@webtv.net
> Date: Wed Sep 14 06:17:52 CDT 2005
> To: TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group
> Subject: Re:[teacherartexchange] cleaning up with young children
>
> Yeah, those little ones can try your soul some days, haha. I think of
> those days as times when it feels like I am trying to lasso jello!
>
> Ok, here's my arsenal of tricks that I use when I get that old jello
> feeling and feel like I'm totally worthless as a teacher at their
> cleanup time:
> 1. "Everyone pick up 20 things to put away." For some reason this
> ALWAYS works. They love counting??? I don't always do this. I save it
> for times when NOTHING is happening in the way of cleanup and the are
> all just having a ball being little imps!
> 2. On days when we use oil pastels, tell them they cannot wash their
> hands until all of the oil pastels are put away and their pictures are
> stacked neatly in the pile. Then, while they are washing their hands,
> spray their tables with fantastic. As they dry their hands, tell them
> to take some extra paper towels to go dry their tables. No need for
> water. The fantastic and dry paper towels gets the pastels off the
> table just fine without a sponge and water.
> 3. Make sure you DEMONSTRATE how to wring all of the water out of a
> sponge before they go wipe their tables with sponges or you will have
> lakes on your tables. Make a rule "no soap on the tables without my
> permission" or you will have lather city. Keep towels in your room for
> days when they get too much water on the table and don't sweat the small
> stuff.
> 4. Make table folders for each table to put their work in. This
> simplifies cleanup and handing out work at the start and end of a
> period.
> 5. If you are having real trouble with a class disintegrating during
> cleanup, I would talk to them about it at the very beginning of the
> period and tell them how you feel. Then when it is time to clean up
> again at the end, a few reminders should be all you need to see better
> results. I've never used the table captain idea. I just hand pick some
> kids to wash brushes, and when I see someone not doing anything helpful,
> I tell them to pick up all the erasers, or pencils, or sharpies, or
> scissors. Kids seem to like having a specific job to do. In fact, it's
> hilarious sometimes to see someone get sort of bent out of shape because
> I asked a second person to help them pick up pencils or whatever. As if
> [...]
Hi Linda, I have just been on your school website and I have to say I'm
very impressed! What a fantastic website and flagship for the school. I am
a Scottish student art teacher and I'm researching for an essay on
"effective teaching". I am also about to embark on my first ever school
placement on Monday. To say the least wee bit nervous! Anyway
congratulations on the fantastic work you and your students have been
producing and have made a few notes for my effective teaching essay!! Any
other thoughts on what makes an effective teacher and tips would be
gratefully received!