[teacherartexchange] pinwheels for peace-how it turned out at my school

---------

From: Jeryl Hollingsworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 22 2005 - 15:42:19 PDT

We had good success with the pinwheels. My school has about 50% of our
faculty new this year (most 1st year teachers) so I was very impressed
with the way a lot of the teachers chose to work with my on this project.
I threw it out to them about a month ago and 10 teachers out of 24 chose
to incorporate the pinwheels into writing projects which they did in their
classrooms and then brought the pinwheels to the artroom to do. I also had
a lot of parent volunteers who cut pinwheels for kdg and helped to put
them together and also came yesterday am armed with screwdrivers to dig
holes in the groung since we have been rainless for almost 4 weeks. The
janitor even watered for me for two days prior. I used the pattern on the
site and printed them on cardstock. A local insurance company donated
pencils. The students were very excited and get asking "is this the day?"
Another teacher with an open block volunteered to take my first block
class over so I could be outside taking photos. Many parents and teacher
commented on the beauty of the display which was quite inpressive with
over 500 pinwheels spinning around our campus.I noticed several parents
parking after school to walk around with their children to look at the
pinwheels. Many classes left them out and they are still spinning today.
We were even allowed to let kdg. put theirs on the new playground outside
of their class which they have not even been allowed to walk on yet. I
guess what I'm trying to say is the project brought out the best in people
at my school. Isn't that what peace should be about? I have posted some
photos on my school web site. Look at Tanner! Their class was so into it!
   http://www.anderson4.k12.sc.us/schools/les/art/pinwheels.htm
      thanks to the gals in Fla. for getting us all in motion
                   Jeryl