[teacherartexchange] student freedom of expression

---------

From: Dawn Malosh (dmalosh_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 22 2005 - 09:00:07 PDT

Hi Fellow Art Teachers,

I teach art to 4th-8th at St. Michael's, an Episcopal K-8 school in Tucson.
I am in the process of developing a freedom of expression policy for student
art. It is a tough process because our administration want to regulate and
ensure "appropriateness" while I seek to protect my students' Freedom of
Expression and creativity. Our Headmaster wants me to poll other art
teachers, about their policies. Please email me if you have a policy
regarding acceptable content and freedom of expression at your school. I
really need to see other school policies to see if I am on the right track.
I would especially like to see the policies of other religious-based
schools, but any school policies would be helpful. So far I haven't found
very many schools with an actual written policy. Your help would be greatly
appreciated!

I'd be happy to share with you the policy I am developing, if you are
interested.

I hope to hear from some of the wonderful teachers on this art teacher
exchange list soon!

Thanks!

        Dawn Malosh,
      Art Educator,