Re: [teacherartexchange] Art workshop

---------

From: HGillum (hgillum_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 22 2005 - 07:23:13 PDT

Thanks for the idea, Betty. I feel like Rachel Ray sometimes - I'm that
hyper anyway - I have to be to get anything done!! I've been trying to post
to this site for days and for some reason, my e-mail is crazy, so I hope by
responding, this will go through. You know I'm in an impossible situation
for any thorough learning. However, I'm trying the best I can. I've
started an artist of the month lesson. I have a bulletin board dedicated to
the artist that has a picture, his/her signature, brief bio, and selected
pictures. I use one week (to cover all the kids) to introduce this artist
and their contributions to our world though an in-depth power-point lesson
and journaling activity afterwards. I started with Norman Rockwell in
Aug/Sept and the kids loved it!

I need some veteran's advice. I have artists I'd like to use, but I want
another opinion. Like I stated earlier, I've got 7-10 year olds who have
never had art. They're learning to mix secondary colors this week and they
are amazed you can do that! I want to introduce them to important artists -
people they should know (if only for a cultural reference...the "household
names") and people who are pretty widely reproduced - calendars, prints,
etc. I know this may sound incredibly cheesy to all of you hard-core
artists, but I have to start somewhere. Once they learn the basics, I can
take it to the next level.

So, keeping my simplicity plan in mind, who do you all recommend? I was
thinking of Grandma Moses, Warhol, and O'Keefe. I'd like to focus on
American artists, if possible, but I'm open to suggestions. I'd also
thought about introducing Ansel Adams (you see his prints everywhere) and
even Charles Schultz of the Charlie Brown fame. You may disagree with me,
but I believe cartoonists to be pretty influential artists - there are very
few of us who haven't been affected by them in our lives. Especially
dealing with my age group, cartoons are something they can reproduce on
their own. I want them to feel like they can be artists and be successful.

I'm interested in hearing any advice you have for me.

Hope you all have a great day!

Holly Gillum