Re: [teacherartexchange] Art workshop

---------

From: HGillum (hgillum_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 22 2005 - 06:39:43 PDT

Hello,

I think this is a wonderful idea. I'm new to the field and am quite a bit
lost. I'm a certified teacher and a certified librarian, but I'm not
certified to teach art...yet. Having not had the bulk of the art classes
(had a few) I'm lost as to who many of the artists are that are mentioned on
this page. However, to be more practical, my kids aren't interested in
obscure artists and their works. Their goal is to learn to draw something
cool!

I teach 600 kids, grades 2-4 art once a week for 40 min. I'm trying to
cover the basics. The most important thing is my time constraints. I've
purchased paint and clay, but I have approx. 25 minutes for a lesson -
including an activity. What will I do with paint and clay in that amount of
time? I need quick, thorough lessons with a brief activity. I'm doing well
creating things on my own, but there aren't many materials that offer art
projects in under 30 minutes. I've been fortunate to have a decent budget,
but I had to fight for it. The materials and alternatives is a great idea.
As a classroom teacher and librarian, I often bought things out of pocket.
However, buying for 100 kids is a lot different from buying for 600!

I'd also be interested in workshops that offer techniques - like paper
making, etc. But, my time constraints will limit what I'm able to
accomplished. I don't know how many people are in the same situation I'm
in, but art isn't exactly a priority and it's reflected in the time and
money we receive. Anything you can do to make life easier on us in the
classroom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Holly Gillum