Re: [teacherartexchange] expectations of an art teacher

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 21 2005 - 18:22:19 PDT

So who doesn't get art? I guarantee that if my district cannot afford to
hire another math teacher and has that teacher teach multiple courses then I
guarantee they won't hire a second art teacher just for the two dozen or so
kids that are affected. I actually had to fight to get students the ability
to take my course more than once, because the counselor thought that they
would simply be repeating the same things. Music and band are NEVER
questioned, and they repeat students for 4 years, without altering their
curriculum any. I love my job, don't mind the multiple levels, and I DO NOT
understand why the only ones complaining are the ones who don't teach in
this situation. Teaching multiple levels is a lot less stressful and a lot
less work than moving from 2 towns, 3 buildings, 4 classrooms daily, and yet
nobody on this list has questioned this insane schedule (although I'm sure
that they will now). Others teach in equally similiar situations. I am
tenured and I do choose to fight for my program - and that program includes
any student who truely wants to take art. That is my .02 and I refuse to
allow anyone to treat me as less of a professional, or to think I am acting
as a floormat because I accept and encourage what I do.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids