[teacherartexchange] pinwheels a success

---------

From: Peri Raygor-Yanez (perigraphics_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 21 2005 - 06:08:26 PDT

Alhambra high school just completed Pinwheels for Peace. The art
students hand drew pinwheels based on Keith Haring ideas. The digital
photo students rotated images of the school, saturated the color and
altered the hue and printed them on transparency sheets (kind of
pricey). The students then set up a table during lunch and raised
funds, giving a pin wheel for a donation of about $1 each. We started
low because ours is a title one school. It raised money for the
hurricane victims who have been staying down the road at the Veteran's
Coliseum. Today we are doing a reflection writing about how successful
we were at raising awareness of the need for Peace among the students
on our campus especially between the Mexican nationals and the Black
Student Union. We raised only about $200, and I spent $61 for the
transparencies. Hopefully a greater lesson was learned.
Peri