Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] expectations of an art teacher

From: Pam Wellington (loveart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 21 2005 - 05:39:38 PDT

Frankly guys, I think we are WAY TOO PATIENT with this nonsense. Our
expectations are at times way too low. Simply refuse to teach doubled up
courses and see what kind of trouble you can cause that might highlight
issues and solve some problems with perceptions in your school. Make sure
you have tenure before you take on the administration, but FIGHT! It is
for the good of your students and your school. Or go to your state board
of education about this abuse. I don't think doubled up courses is kosher
legally with state standards.
The issue of the rest of the school asking for supplies and asking you to do
their decorating for them is the same deal; a total lack of respect and
knowledge of what we do. It's insulting. Be nice, but be firm and clear.
Every year I have to send an email to the entire faculty telling them 1. If
you have art needs, please drop into my classroom before school, after
school, or during my prep. NOT in the middle of a class! The assumption on
their part is that I am not doing anything, or not doing anything important
that can't be interrupted. 2. Not to expect me to supply their art
materials for them 3. I can't lend them my students, my classes, my time or
my talents. The tax payers are expecting me to spend my time TEACHING, not
slaving away for other content areas doing things like decorating for
holidays. For High School, my art club often handles these things as a
community service to the school. That seems to work well and is
Third issue: art needs to be highly valued. Don't ever give it away or
cheapen it with low expectations as far as a return for your hard work and
Good luck and keep fighting.
Pam Wellington Art Dept Chair
Boiling Springs High School
Boiling Springs, PA

Subject: Re: schools' expectations of an art teacher
From: "gail kizis" <>
when folks come a'borrowing, I politely tell them the ART DEPT. is not the
"Hobby Lobby " for the whole school. I tell this to teachers and students.
Every penny of our budget is spent for the students.
nancy in n tx

To unsubscribe go to