[teacherartexchange] Teaching Multiple Classes

---------

From: Mary Hensler (mhensler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 16:43:31 PDT

Robin,

I too teach multiple classes scheduled during the same section. I work
at a urban school about 60 miles North of Dallas with approx. 1700
students. We run 8 sections of Art 1, and I teach all the rest. I have
two sections of Art 2, both have small groups of either Art 3 & 4
students and one an AP Portfolio. I also have on advanced studio with
Art 3 & 4, along with AP Portfolio, plus and Electronic Media class (I
have a combined studio/computer room facility - each is a separate room,
but open to flow back and forth). I also teach Graphic Design 1 which is
an art course and the Technology Applications class Digital Graphics and
Animation. Needless to say both the Art/Graphics and the Tech Apps/
Graphics is the same curriculum. And then sprinkled here and there are
advanced Technology students doing Independent Study in Digital Music,
Advanced Photoshop, Advanced Animation and Video Technology. In
addition, I also teach one section of AP Art History. Needless to say we
are almost the department that doesn't sleep.

One of the ways I keep sane is by organizing all of my course content
and materials on my intranet site. Since I have no texts in my
technology classes - this is the only way I can function. I like having
everything on a web page for my Graphics classes so much, I am currently
building up all of my visual arts materials for web delivery. Having the
computer lab next door is a great plus, so we are always able to go and
take a look at any materials or links that are pertinent for the lesson
we are in.

Our district is on the verge of implementing BlackBoard, so I have been
following closely the online discussion. It's biggest advantage is that
when we start using it, my students will be able to access my materials
at home.

Yes, we all do what we need to do because of the students, but that is
the reason why I show up every morning after all these years.

Anyway I enjoy organized creative chaos,
Mary Hensler
Technology & Visual Arts Department
Sherman High School
2201 East Lamar