Re: [teacherartexchange] schools' expectations of an art teacher

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 16:03:05 PDT

When I have new teachers who haven't been "trained" ask me for supplies I
put on a stressed look and say "gee, I'd love to help, but my art budget got
cut and I'm stretching supplies. Have you checked in the office or teachers
lounge to see if there are any supplies there?" I've never had them ask
twice. Last year I did have a teacher swipe a brand new bottle of tempera
paint - I mass e-mailed EVERY teacher in the district, including the
administrator, saying that whoever took it needs to replace it because that
was all I had for the next school year. A very red-faced teacher bought a
bottle with her own money to replace it.

As for classroom projects - I let teachers know that if they tell me in
advanced what "big" topics they are covering that I will integrate if at all
possible. That is the extent of my classroom projects. I do not do
decorations, contests, bulletine boards, set designs, etc. I tell the
teachers who ask that it does not fit in with my state and national
standards, and that the school board hired me with the expectation that I
would be teaching quality art based on those standards. With elementary
students I only see them once per week, so it is just impractical to give up
any of my time. With high school students I mentioned one year to the drama
director that maybe she could get the administrator to add a Drama class or
Set Design class to the curriculum. I try to be supportive with the other
teachers intentions and offer alternative ideas while politely telling them
no.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids