Re: [teacherartexchange] a thought about what is art worth realistically

---------

From: Betty B (bettycarol_40_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 15:40:26 PDT

Bunki, a local civic club used to let my kids have a
poster contest. They gave cash prizes, $50, $30, and
$20. For one thing it made the kids take the
competition very seriously. It also had the remarkable
effect of making them take each other's efforts more
seriously. The three top ones (that I chose, then the
club put them in 1st 2nd 3rd) were chosen at one of
their weekly lunches - the kids came to lunch, shook
hands with the grownups and spoke briefly about their
picture - a HUGE experience for these kids! One year
the boy who won $50 was able to "prove" to his
stepfather that art wasn't a "stupid sissy" thing to
do.

They know that "professional" means someone who gets
paid for what they do. It matters and can be a
lifetime memory.

PS - I'm 45 years old and fondly remember my first $20
art prize in about 1975.