RE: [teacherartexchange] schools' expectations of an art teacher

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 15:07:11 PDT

The issues of helping with haunted houses or giving out art supplies are
common with art teachers in schools. In fact I think this is more of an
abuse than multiple levels in one class, if you want my $.02. We are
expected to not only supply the school with supplies, but 'decorate' it as
well. Over the years I have developed two important (for me) statements. 1)
The first is I direct all requests for supplies to the Principal's office
after I explain that my budget only covers what I use in the classroom for
my curriculum. 2) Secondly when asked to help with things such as a Haunted
House project, I very professionally offer to "design" something on paper,
and will then pass it on to the teacher who then gets to "make it" with her
students under her watch. My "designs" are simple enough for someone with
all thumbs to do. Sometimes 'they' just don't know where to 'start'. I
explain that my curriculum doesn't cover Haunted Houses. Both of these
statements have worked for me, and offer something to the person asking. The
first offers them an alternative, get the supplies/money from the principal,
and let the principal figure out how to do it. If the principal approaches
you, you then educate them on how much money you get per student, etc etc
etc. The second offers them the opportunity to walk in my shoes, while they
'supervise', plans in hand the making of their Haunted House.

Oh, there's still many surprises for you to come...wait to you do your end
of the year art show...there's ALWAYS issues involved with that!

San D