[teacherartexchange] schools' expectations of an art teacher

---------

From: Terry Marney (terrylou63_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 14:21:12 PDT

Along the same line as being expected to teach
multiple courses within one class period....does
anyone else experience teachers having unrealistic
expectations of an art teacher? Such as expecting you
to change your curriculum so that your art students
can do set design for her Haunted House? Or how about
the ones who constantly come to you for materials,
posterboard & construction paper? Any ideas or
suggestions on how to politely let them know that our
art budget doesn't provide for the entire school? Or
that our curriculum is an ACTUAL curriculum which
meets the state requirements and is not just there for
fluff and haunted houses? I don't mean for this to
sound so negative....but these are issues that I've
been faced with that I never really know how to
respond to! The haunted house thing just recently
happened and the person was irate that I would suggest
that it be done after-school and not during my class!