[teacherartexchange] Praise for Edline

---------

From: Amanda Linn (toasterart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 06:36:03 PDT

My school piloted Edline in our district last year. I
teach in a very racially and economically diverse high
school. I really like Edline and based on feedback we
have received, our families do as well. For the
parents, it gives them a chance to access their childs
grades anytime of the day or night from any computer-
which I've been told is quite handy when a student
wants to go out on the weekend and there is a question
about homework and grades. It also allows parents to
check their child's progress BEFORE they make a call
to the teacher or the administrator. I think
oftentimes we forget that some parents who are
difficult to contact and communicate with had bad
experiences when they were in school therefore they
are sometimes reluctant to contact the school about
their child. Students can check their grades as well.
We've made it a priority to get the information and
access codes into the hands of every parent this year.
Critics of Edline will argue that not all parents have
access to the internet and often the students who are
the most at risk are hampered by economic situations
preventing them from computer access. We have worked
with our local libraries, contacted local employers
and keep our parent center open at the school in the
evenings to provide access to Edline. It's not a
perfect solution to parental contact problems- but
we've found it to be a good place to start.

From a teacher's point of view, I have a link for each
class. I post information, class notes, homework lists
for the 9 weeks, etc. so if students lose their art
history notes for instance, they can print a copy from
Edline- or if a parent is concerned about a child's
homework grade, they can see the missed assignments
and the upcoming assignments for the 9 weeks. Our
Edline and Gradequick programs are linked so I can
send grade reports from Gradequick to Edline very
easily. Before I came to this district, I had never
used a computer grade book. I like Gradequick very
much as well. I think I am just exploring the surface
as far as potential uses for Edline- programs like
this are here to stay...I think we should embrace them
and figure out how they can help us meet the needs of
our students and families.

One person's opinion-
Amanda Linn
Arkansas

What does education often do? It makes a straight-cut ditch of a free, meandering brook.
Henry David Thoreau