Re:[teacherartexchange] combined classes

---------

From: J Well (scherenschnitte442000_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 04:42:29 PDT

Hello. I've been reading the discussion about
combined classes with interest. As usual, the truth
is wishy-washy (as my hero Charlie Brown has said).

If Michal's situation is unique, then most of our
situations are unique. Blanket statements about sound
education practices are lovely in university courses,
but real world schools require that we make some
compromises.

For schools other than the largest, scheduling has
become a labyrinth of required courses, honors
courses, AP courses, and electives designed to meet
the needs of the student population. With the
stipulation that administrations set an enrollment
number limit on combined art studio classes (mine is
25) and a reasonable achievement prerequisite from the
intro art studio class, I see no other way for my Art
II or Art III candidates to successfully schedule
their advanced art courses. They are expected to be
self-disciplined, highly motivated, and hardworking,
and I am rarely disappointed. Granted, this
teaching/learning situation is not ideal. It is a
realistic compromise. J.