Re: [teacherartexchange] teaching multiple classes

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 19:41:25 PDT

I think there are some misconceptions about mixed level classes - at least
in my case. I have 9 students in one class, 21 in the other. I do not have
any Art 4 students this year due to my art classes being opposite Government
and English 4. I do not feel that my teaching multiple levels has anything
to do with respect - I am on the district leadership team, I am the building
NCA leader, I am the NEA secretary, and I am one of two district technology
coordinators. I have seniority over 75% of the district staff and have been
there longer than all the administrators and board members. My program is
well-funded in comparison to other curriculum in the district. We do not
have a foreign language teacher in the building due to not needing one for
more than 2 hours a day, so we have foreign language in our IDL lab. While
English classes do not teach multiple levels during any given class, this is
due to the fact that our state funding is dependant on our reading and now
our math scores. The math department does teach multiple levels in our
district due to the fact that we do have to focus on our math scores, and
some students need classes that we cannot offer any other time, so they are
put in with the math teacher who does his best to teach them. So, outside
influences do not factor in to my allowing and promoting multi-level
classes. One of our grade schools was multi-level the first 3 years I taught
here - grades 1-3 and 4-6, so this is common practice all around. In Kansas,
students are required to take a fine arts credit to graduate high school,
which is covered by visual art, vocal music, or band in my district. I think
it is easy to judge if you have never lived or worked in a small, rural
setting such as the one I'm in. I teach in a climate where I am respected,
valued, and appreciated, both vocally as well as thru actions and pay. When
I need something I ask and I generally receive it.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids