Re: [teacherartexchange] teaching multiple classes

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 18:12:13 PDT

Hi Michal and others,

I would certainly not turn students away...but I do think there is some room to
let it be known that teaching multiple classes with too many students is
sometimes not the best educational experience. There is also room to let the
district understand that art needs to be a required class. Some states do
require arts courses for high school graduation and I see it as both a working
conditions issue as well as an advocacy issue. Art needs and should be on
equal footing with other classes. Are English teachers and math teachers
required to teach multiple courses at once? There are ways to advocate for
what is sound educationally without alienating people. This is the type of
advocacy I would promote. Call it positive, assertive advocacy...more students
can be kept interested in art when we provide quality art learning experiences.
We can do that best when we have reasonable working conditions. Of course, one
needs to work within the system and form positive, professional relationships
with others. This can not happen overnight. Forming strong, helping
relationships with others over time can help any art teacher to advocate for
reasonable working conditions so that students can get the best art education.
Accepting multiple classes without saying anything about it can be mistaken as
approval and doing so can set a precedent that will eventually be impossible to
change since...this is the way it is always done...and making the art teacher
feel like they are somehow being disloyal or uncaring about the needs of their
students if they dare say anything. Nothing could be further from the
truth...It is out of care and wanting to improve conditions that we advocate so
strongly.

As a university professor who teaches art education within a largely studio
dominated program, I must constantly advocate for art education even among
people who are themselves artists. I am fortunate that when I express a need
or want to change things to make them better in our art education program, I
get support. However, art education is still the low program on the totem
pole so to speak and I don't kid myself. So even at the college/university
level advocacy is a big part of the job! :-) In fact, it is the biggest part of
the job. Even though the road ahead is hard for my pre-service art teachers, I
feel it is essential for them to develop positive, assertive and professional
advocacy skills. As part of that process it is essential for them to
understand what are reasonable and non-reasonable working conditions. Not to
say, that we do not work with what exists, but we strive to improve the
programs that we are handed.